Call Today! (801) 203-0700
Call Today! (801) 203-0700
Salt Lake City Logo

Water Damage: health concerns

Published by 911 Restoration Salt Lake City on June 6, 2013 in category: Water Damage Restoration with tags: , , ,

flood cleanup in Salt Lake CityWater damage can occur in many different ways. An act of nature such as flooding, heavy rain, hurricanes or simply a line or appliance leak that has gone undetected can cause considerable damage to any structure.

The effects that water can have on a structure is highly damaging to the foundation and the integrity of the building. The health issues of those that are exposed to the long term effects of water damage can be quite concerning. Especially for anyone who has had continuous exposure to the environment.

Mold is one of the most dangerous outcomes for your health that can come from improper or delayed clean-up after water damage has been done. Since a moist or humid environment can encourage the growth of mold and mildew, clean-up is an immediate concern. The most commonly found molds are Aspergillus, Penicillium and Stachybotrys, but there are more mold spores that have been found in water damaged sites.

If you have been exposed to water damage and become sick you should visit a healthcare provider to be evaluated for mold related illnesses. Symptoms such as difficulty breathing, wheezing, coughing and sinus issues could be related to mold spore exposure.

Visible water damage, mold and odor have been commonly linked with asthma, respiratory infections, rhinitis (post nasal drip or nasal congestion), bronchitis and eczema.

Water-damaged structures require special needs to avoid exposure with mold. Mold spores can spread easily once exposed to the air and will form new growth (colonies). Mold spores are nearly impossible to kill the longer it is allowed to grow and must be removed from the structure.

The best way to insure that mold is disposed of correctly and entirely is to hire a licensed firm that is trained in the removal and disposal of mold and mold spores.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ecofriendly company
Call us today with any questions or concerns! (801) 203-0700
3690 S 500 W, South Salt Lake, UT 84115
*Property Owners Only. Restrictions Apply